Question #50 – Can God become material or physical? Can angels become material or physical?
Answer: Definitely, a big YES. They did become or they did manifest in material or physical form. Hence the claim that Christ being God and that He became flesh is not an impossibility. We are going to present concrete events found in the Bible. Observe very closely the following passages:
1. Genesis 18:1-2, 13, “And Jehovah appeared unto him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; and he lifted up his eyes and looked, and lo, three men stood over against him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself to the earth. X x x v.13, And Jehovah said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, who am old? Is anything too hard for Jehovah? At the set time I will return unto thee, when the season cometh round, and Sarah shall have a son.” (American Standard Version) Note that Jehovah appeared in the form of MAN. The other two are angels which we will see later. This is so very clear that those who say that God cannot become man, should be ashamed of their ignorance of the Bible. As you continue reading this chapter 18, you find that the other two are angels who proceeded to Sodom and Gomorrah while Jehovah stayed with Abraham in the vicinity of Mamre.
Jehovah is the true God in the Bible. When he appeared to Moses in Exodus 3, we read the declaration of Jehovah Himself in the following passage:
2. Exodus 3:14-15, “And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, Jehovah, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.” (ASV)
During this encounter with Moses, the writer calls the true God as Angel of Jehovah. The One who talked with Moses is God, He is also called Angel of Jehovah. Most Bible scholars believe that this is Christ in the Old Testament.
3. Exodus 17:1-7 & Numbers 20:9-13 tell us about the Rock that followed Israel during the wilderness wandering that supplied water to about three million people. This is not an ordinary rock. Let the following passage testify.
4. 1 Cor. 10:1-4, “For I would not, brethren, have you ignorant, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; and id all eat the same spiritual food; and did all drink of a spiritual rock that followed them; and the rock was Christ.” (ASV)
It is very clear that Christ became rock or took the form of a Rock in olden times. Rock is material. We should believe what John the Apostle declares in John 1:14 that the Word became flesh and dwelt among mankind.
5. Micah 5:2, “But you Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of you shall come forth to Me the One to be ruler in Israel, whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.” This passage tells us that Christ has been active, had activities in the Old Testament times. That idea is based on the phrase, “whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.” Note the plurality of the participle “goings forth” which tells of activities in the past. From everlasting. Only the true God can claim existence and activities from eternity.
Conclusion: We have proved our promise to show you that the true God and even angels could take up the form of matter or physical existence. If one grants the possibility of Satan becoming a material, physical Snake or Dragon, why can’t we accept that the true God who is most powerful can take the form of an angel or a human being? Let us be consistent and reasonable.