Is There Interference of Evil Forces in the Lives of Christians? (65)
In the previous comment, we have shown partial proof that there is an interference of evil forces in the lives of people including Christians. The question to wrestle with is this: Do we expect Satan to stop interfering with the life of Christians in the 21st century? My immediate reaction to the question is a big No.
Let us consider the following points:
1. The term “Satan” is a Hebrew word that literally means “Adversary”. Before he became Satan (Adversary) he was a created perfect cherub with free will and existed initially in the glorious presence of the true God Yahweh. See Isaiah 14:1-20 and Ezekiel 28:12-19.
2. As a created cherub he ranks higher in power and knowledge above human beings. In exercising his free will, this cherub eventually developed an ambition to be equal with God Yahweh which is illegal, because there is only One True God, the Trinity.
3. His rebellion which included many of the hosts of heaven is alluded to in The Book of Revelation 12:7-12. He and his cohort evil spirits have developed an incorrigible attitude and character which is disposed to contradict the good intentions of the true God Yahweh. 4. He entered the Garden of Eden after God had completed the creation of the material world and with his s scheming ways, he deceived Adam and Eve in the period of innocence of our first human parents. Our parents disobeyed Yahweh God because of the extremely attractive offers of food, beauty, and knowledge immediately delightful to the senses. See Genesis 3:1-15.
5. Because of this evil interference of Satan in human existence, the Garden of Eden prepared for humankind was lost. Man’s existence on earth has been shortened from about 1,000 years to 800 years to 700, to 200, to 120, to 100, to 80, and to an average of 70 years life span at the present time.
6. Many animals that used to be friendly to Adam became wild, the same also with the invisible or microscopic animal and plant life like bacteria, germs, and viruses. They have become destructive to human life. See Genesis 3:17-24.
7. The whole material universe is now groaning under the oppression of Satan, the chief devil as described in Romans 8:18-30.
8. Satan and several the fallen angelic hosts were active in the time of Apostle Paul (Ephesians 6:11-13), in the time of Apostle Peter (1Peter 5:7-8), in the time of Apostle John (Book of Revelation).
9. Since the Book of Revelation demonstrates the epic struggle of the corporate Church described as the Woman that sought refuge in the wilderness in Revelation 12, individual Christians inevitably participate in that struggle up to the end of the ages.
10. Satan is described in the following significant attributes and activities:
- God of this age – 2Cor. 4:4 i. He ensnares – 1 Tim. 3:7
- Adversary – 1 Peter 5:7-8 j. Highest of fallen angels –Rev. 12:7-8
- Prince of the power of the air – Eph. 2:2 k. Father of lies – John 8:44
- Wicked – Matt. 13:19 l. Tempts man to commit sin – Gen. 3:1-7
- Ruler of this world – John 14:30 m. Angel of the bottomless pit – Rev. 9:11
- Ruler of darkness – Eph. 6:12 n. Proud – 1Tim. 3:6
- Slanderous – Job. 1:9 o. He blinds – 2 Cor. 4:4
- Ferocious as a lion – 1Peter 5:8 p. He deceives – Rev. 20:7-8; 2Cor. 11:14
11. Satan’s power, knowledge, aggressiveness, and ferocity should alarm every Christian to recognize a dangerous adversary which should make us all alert and well-armed.
12. Satan had the audacity to even enter the holy heavens in the presence of holy angels and the Holy God and dared God to allow God’s servant to be sifted. See Job chapters 1 & 2.
13. He even wanted to have control over the dead body of Moses. See Deut. 34:5-8; Jude 9.
14. Satan caused nature to kill the children of Job, kill the flocks and herds of Job.
15. He influenced King David, a man after God’s heart, to take a census of Israel which was popularly prohibited that David’s officers even reminded him not to do. – 1 Chron. 21:1.
16. He accused the High Priest Joshua – Zechariah 3:1; Isaiah – Isaiah 6:1-7. Satan confronted Christ the Son of God with three big temptations. See Matt. 4:1-11.
17. He wanted to sift Apostle Peter – Luke 22:31-34.
18. He continually nudged Judas Iscariot to mishandle the money bag of Christ and the Apostles, and finally entered Judas’ heart to finally make him a traitor against the Teacher – John 13:2, 27-29; Mark 14:10-11; John 12:2-8.
19. Satan was able to influence Ananias and Sapphira to lie to the Holy Spirit – Acts 5:1-11.
20. God has placed human free will in man’s heart, and allows sufferings, trials, temptations because God wants a human being’s voluntary loyalty fully developed while in this life on earth before he can enter the heavenly realm. James 1:12; Matt. 10:22.
21. If Satan can directly create accident through nature as he did in the death of Job’s children (See Job 1:19) and caused Job to have boils all over his body, it is possible for Satan to intensify an existing psychosomatic sickness of a person. Also possible for Satan to intensify the deterioration of an inherited family DNA.
With the above possibilities considered, demonic interference happens, this writer believes. This is why Apostle Paul strongly encourages every disciple to put on protective garments and be armed. See Ephesians 6:10-17.
The greatest achievement for an individual is to come to know God and Christ and be led and empowered by the Holy Spirit in this life’s journey (Romans 8:1-17; Ephesians 3:16) to a heavenly home for eternity.